Rev. Bonita Grubbs
About the Executive Director
Rev. Bonita Grubbs has been Executive Director of Christian Community Action since December 1988. She was ordained to the Christian Ministry within the American Baptist Church in November 1987.
In 2013, Rev. Grubbs received the New Haven Register’s Person of the Year Award. In 2015, she was confirmed as Deputy Chaplain of the CT State Senate, and still serves in this capacity today.
Executive Director's Message
Since its inception, Christian Community Action’s approach and services are as compassionate, caring and critical as they were fifty-four years ago.
Our personalized approach has made a lasting difference in the lives of families and individuals by meeting urgent needs, discovering their strengths and achieving greater economic security.
We made a commitment to helping families reach a higher level of self-sufficiency through initiatives that included:
- Emergency assistance through its food program in 1968, family shelter program in 1970 and fuel bank in 1977
- Policy advocacy that dates back to 1977 today through its the Advocacy and Education Project and grassroots advocacy through Mothers for Justice (now called Mothers and Others for Justice), beginning in 1993
- Intensive services and housing offered to families within its former Stepping Stone Transitional Housing Program (SSTHP) from 1998 to 2018
- Supportive services through its Program for Internships, Vocational Opportunities and Training (PIVOT) in 2004
- Employment and child and family services beginning in 2015 through the Accessing Resources for Independence Skill-building and Employment (ARISE) Center
- Housing, employment and support services at the former SSTHP site (New Housing, Opportunity, Purpose and Expectations (HOPE) Program)
Meet The Board
Men and women who believe in the mission of Christian Community Action
Ms. Lynette E. Johnson
State of CT Department of Developmental Services
Ms. Dinah Milton Kinney
United States Courts, Chief Deputy Clerk
Ms. Andrea Perce
United States Courts, HR Manager
Ms. Elizabeth Duryea
State of CT Department of Children and Families
Dr. Craig Bailey, PhD
Yale School of Medicine
Ms. W. Ivette Diaz
Raymour & Flanigan
Ms. Makana Ellis
Murphy & Nugent, LLC.
Mr. David Goldblum
The Hurley Group, Principal & CEO.
Minister Norman Nuton, Jr.
New Haven Church of Christ
Ms. Marquita Taylor, PhD
Yale School of Public Health
Mr. Sherwin Yoder, Esq.
Carmody, Torrance, Sandak & Hennessy, LLC.